After sixty years in East Point, Southwest Christian Church is following God's call to move to Newnan. During this transition, we continue to worship at our campus in East Point, and at a new location near our Newnan property. More information about the different locations and worship times can be found on the worship with us page.
The following points outline the steps in our relocation process so far.
Check back often for updates!
- In June 2013, the body of Southwest Christian Church voted overwhelmingly (97%) in favor of moving forward with the leadership's proposal to purchase land for a new Church location in Newnan, GA.
- On January 30th, 2014 Southwest Christian Church officially closed on 15 acres of property near the intersection of Hwy 29 and Hwy 154 in Newnan! The property is ours, debt free!
- As of February 2014, the fund to purchase the land has been expanded to include funds for the new building. Donations continue to be accepted.
- In March 2014 a "Future Home of Southwest Christian Church" announcement sign was installed on our property in Newnan. Our property is adjacent to the Arbor Springs Plantation neighborhood.
- In the Fall of 2014 Southwest continued to organize service projects for the Newnan community and one Sunday night worship service at Arbor Springs Elementary every month.
- In September 2014 these services began to occur more frequently. Sunday morning and Wednesday night programming continued in East Point, while adding a weekly Sunday night service at Arbor Springs Elementary.
- A new logo was carefully chosen, and is now on our Newnan property sign and all of our publications!
- In February 2015 Weekly Sunday morning worship at Arbor Springs and Wednesday night programming at Harvest Park Baptist Church began. Sunday night services have been discontinued.
- Sunday morning worship and Wednesday nights at East Point continue under the direction of associate minister James White.
- Early in the summer of 2015, multiple offers were made to purchase our building, and Southwest leadership has submitted counter-offers to two of them. We are eagerly awaiting news on the counter-offers.
- In September 2015 the congregation approved (over 90% in favor) a plan to move forward by taking out a construction loan to begin building on our property in Newnan as soon as possible.
- As of December 2015 the building plans have nearly been finalized, and pending various boards of approval, we will accept bids from builders in early 2016.
- On Sunday March 6th, 2016 all Newnan services moved to 504 Center St. in Palmetto under the big blue water tower. East Point Services continue as usual on Washington Rd.
We are thankful to God for His providence in this effort so far and for the many hours of hard work by so many people to get us to this point. Please be in prayer as we work to have our plans approved and select a builder, continue to raise funds, and to sell our property in East Point.
As we go, remember Paul's words to the church in Ephesus: "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Jesus Christ throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21
In everything we do, we seek to worship God, serve others, and build community!