After sixty years in East Point, Southwest Christian Church is following God's call to move to Newnan. During this transition, we continue to worship in rented space at 504 Center St. near our Newnan property. You can see the progress for yourself at the corner of Hwy 29 and Hwy 154. More information about the location and worship times can be found on the worship with us page.
The following points outline the steps in our relocation process so far.
Check back often for updates! (Updated 5/8/17)
- In June 2013, the body of Southwest Christian Church voted overwhelmingly (97%) in favor of moving forward with the leadership's proposal to purchase land for a new Church location in Newnan, GA.
- On January 30th, 2014 Southwest Christian Church officially closed on 15 acres of property near the intersection of Hwy 29 and Hwy 154 in Newnan! The property is ours, debt free!
- As of February 2014, the fund to purchase the land was expanded to include funds for the new building. Donations continue to be accepted.
- In March 2014 a "Future Home of Southwest Christian Church" announcement sign was installed on our property in Newnan. Our property is adjacent to the Arbor Springs Plantation neighborhood.
- In the Fall of 2014 Southwest continued to organize service projects for the Newnan community and one Sunday night worship service at Arbor Springs Elementary every month.
- In September 2014 these services began to occur more frequently. Sunday morning and Wednesday night programming continued in East Point, along with a weekly Sunday night service at Arbor Springs Elementary.
- A new logo was carefully chosen, and is now on our Newnan property sign and all of our publications!
- In February 2015 Weekly Sunday morning worship at Arbor Springs Elementary and Wednesday night programming at Harvest Park Baptist Church began. Sunday night services were discontinued.
- In September 2015 the congregation approved (over 90% in favor) a plan to move forward by taking out a construction loan to begin building on our property in Newnan as soon as possible.
- On Sunday March 6th, 2016 all Newnan services moved to 504 Center St. in Palmetto under the big blue water tower. East Point services continued for a time on Washington Rd. For this period, we considered ourselves one Church in multiple locations.
- August 28th, 2016 was a very special homecoming Sunday and our final service in East Point. We had two baptisms that day and around eight hundred people with us to mark this pivotal moment in our Church's history by worshipping with us one last time on Washington Rd.
- Homecoming also saw the launch of our "LET'S GO" campaign, intended to fund many of the furniture and fixtures for the new building. By August of 2016, staff and leadership had committed over $300,000 in pledges over the next two years.
- In September 2016, a lease-purchase agreement on our East Point Campus was finalized with the Church at Chapel Hill.
- Also in September of 2016, all Southwest worship services and operations moved to 504 Center St. in Palmetto. Site work began on our property on Hwy 29, and interviews for contractors began.
- In October 2016 site preparations continued and "curbing" began on our Newnan property. Pledges and gifts surpassed the halfway point in our fundraising campaign. The Church at Chapel Hill also began worshipping in the East Point building in October after some renovations. We hope that their many investments in the building will lead to their eventual purchase of the East Point property.
- Since beginning the "LET'S GO" campaign in August 2016, the Church has received gifts and pledges of over $600,000 for the next few years!
- The budget was approved by the congregation in January 2017 including funds to service an expanded construction loan as needed. Fencing and paving were completed, and construction on the building is expected to begin in May.
- A ground breaking ceremony was held Sunday May 21st! Over one hundred past and present members took part as we celebrated the beginning of construction on our building.
We are thankful to God for His providence in this effort so far and for the many hours of hard work by so many people to get us to this point. Please be in prayer as we work with contractors, continue to raise funds, and endeavor to sell our property in East Point.
As we go, remember Paul's words to the church in Ephesus: "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Jesus Christ throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21
In everything we do, we seek to worship God, serve others, and build community!